I was pawing through my February archives and ran across a series of abstracts of the Assabet River that I shot in 2012. I don’t normally do abstracts as part of the wallpaper series, but strangely enough I did one last February. Although shot two years apart the mystery and lightness of these images obviously keeps getting my attention. I hope they look good on your screens – it really comes to life when it is displayed on a big surface.
Looking forward to Spring…
Here are your wallpaper options:
Download the 1024×768 version here. (Great for your iPad)
Download the 1280×800 version here.
Download the 1366×768 version here.
Download the 1920×1080 version here. (HDTV widescreen)
Download the 1680×1050 version here.
Download the 2448×1836 version here. (iPads with Retina Screens)
Technical: Canon 5D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8 @35mm, 13 sec at f/14, ISO 100. Processed in Lightroom CC. Surprisingly few adjustments – just some basic exposure tweaks to compress in the highlights and bring out the shadow areas (below the surface): Canon Camera Neutral profile; EV -0.1; highlights -37; shadows +64; blacks -44; clarity +9; vibrance +15.
There’s something about how the shape of the ice seems to radiate out — even though the water is moving right to left — that makes this just interesting enough to share with you all.
Technical: Canon 5D Mark II, 70-200mm f/2.8L at 150mm, 3-stop ND filter + polarizer, 1/5 second, f/16, ISO 100.
Lightroom 3: Recovery 20, Fill 25, Blacks 20, Clarity +30, Vibrance +43 (brings out the blue in the ice).
Finally had a chance to strap on some snowshoes and head out to the river… I’m not sure that the term “hieroglyphics” is really appropriate but the ducks tracks reminded me of those sci-fi glowing letters you see in movies and shows like Stargate SG-1.
Technical: Canon 5D Mark 2, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 0.4sec, f/16, ISO 100, 3-stop ND filter + polarizer. Might as well cop to an error as well — I had accidentally left the image stabilizer on which definitely impacted the sharpness of the longer exposures.
Lightroom 3: minor exposure tweaks, blacks around 15, clarity 20, and converted to black&white (it was pretty monochromatic to start with)
And a couple more variations…
First in a series of abstracts I shot about a year ago. I’m looking forward to heading out over the weekend to do some more.
Technical: Canon 5D Mark 2, 70-200mm f/2.8L at 115mm. 0.6sec, f/9, ISO 100.
Lightroom 3: Exposure 0.5, blacks 10, clarity +35, vibrance +17 (wow, unusually close to straight out of the camera)
We had a beautiful sunny day here over the weekend (actually two sunny days, but I was traveling to/from Maine for most of one of them) and I wanted to continue working on a set of river abstracts that I started before the heavens opened up and flooded the river. The waters are working their way back to normal, but still have a lot of punch. I was working on long exposures like this:
when I spotted a kayaker playing in the rapids upstream of a nearby bridge. He (or she) would be passing by within a few minutes so what to do? I was shooting with the 40D and the 100-400 f/5.6L because I needed a lot of reach for some subjects. It would only take a few seconds to reconfigure the camera to shoot action shots (crank the shutter, raise the ISO, and set the lens wide open). I started to do this and stopped. I’m shooting abstracts. Can’t I make the kayaker an abstract subject too (if a fleeting one)? What the heck…
And so as he shot the rapids and played with the eddys I framed up and fired away at 0.6 and 0.8 seconds. I really didn’t have much time to see if this would work — the whole encounter only lasted 20 seconds. The results were interesting and, for me, added another dimension to this exploration of water’s power. In retrospect I should have varied the shutter a bit more as I think there would be some cool images below 0.5 seconds.
Technical: Canon 40D, 100-400 f/4.5L (at focal lengths through the entire range), f/16, ISO 200. Polarizer and a 3-stop ND filter. Shot from a Gitzo tripod and a Really Right Stuff RH-55 ballhead for stability.
Lightroom processing: strong fill, blackpoint, and clarity. Bit of vibrance. Removed one nasty dust spot.