Tag Archives: Long-exposure

August 2017 Wallpaper

We are looking forward to visiting this peaceful spot a few days from now: Azizcohos Lake in northwest Maine.  The weather forecast (and the lunar cycle) aren’t adding up for great Milky Way photographs, but I’m crossing my fingers for some loons and other wildlife instead.

(Apologies for the “break” in July… just bad timing to get something out in time (it was halfway through July before I realized I didn’t make a post.)

Here are your wallpaper options:

Download the 1024×768 version here. (Great for your iPad)

Download the 1280×800 version here.

Download the 1366×768 version here.

Download the 1920×1080 version here. (HDTV widescreen)

Download the 1680×1050 version here.

Download the 2448×1836 version here. (iPads with Retina Screens)

Technical: Canon 7D, EF 16-35mm at 16mm, 150 second exposure, f/11, ISO 160.  (based on the numbers I must have had an ND filter or two on it).  Processed in Lightroom CC. Just some minor exposure tweaks, medium contrast curve.  Luminance noise at 20 took care of most of the sensor noise for this long exposure.   (I’m looking forward to seeing how my Fuji cameras will do with this type of exposure times.)

River Abstracts

OK, maybe not true abstracts, but bending in that direction.   I spent a bit of time this afternoon looking to do some long-exposure work with the river – in broad daylight…

My goal is to continue to explore the boundary between the surface and what lies below and that requires some interesting lighting conditions and ways of visually working into the water column without getting too wet in the process.

The really cool part of these images, for me, only appears in good-size prints.  The water’s surface is inscribed with patterns of light so as you pull back you see what is below but upon closer inspection you can tell that there is a layer of water above (see zoomed inset below).

 

Technical stuff: Canon 5D Mark 2, 24-70mm f/2.8L, exposure times vary but generally around 10 seconds, f/18 to f/22, ISO 100, 3 stop ND filter  stacked with 2 polarizers.  I believe the first image was done with the ND filter, polarizer and a 3-stop graduated ND filter running left to right.  Lightroom processing varies slightly between images but generally fill +10, black +9, vibrance +5-+15, strong contrast curve.   Some of the images pulled down the saturation of the red and orange channels to remove some color casting caused, no doubt, by the mass of filters piled up in front of the lens.  (That these photos work in color at all was pretty amazing.  I was expecting a lot more skewing of colors.)